December 19, 2014, 12:17:13 AM Hide Utility Bar  Close 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  Home   Forum   Gallery Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Citadel "Finecast" is a load of bullshit  (Read 4826 times)
patsy02
Captain

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:18:43 AM »

I know it makes for a poor discussion to include the conclusion in the title, but damn it, it's the truth.

Here's an example of a new 'finecast':

Yeah, real fucking fine. We're lucky to get so much bonus resin flash included free of charge in the box. It's similar to the ongoing practice of switching out metal with plastic, only - as opposed to metal to plastic, the expenses that come with this switch for GW is are none since the process uses the same casts as they did before, and unlike the metal > plastic switch, they don't have to redesign or sculpt any new units. The benefits for customers are non-existant. In one of the most poorly disguised cash grabs so far, they're switching to a cheaper casting material, and raise the prices under the sorry moniker of "finecast".

They've also taken a swing at most other things, to quote Rufus from W-E:
Forget the resin stuff. I can't believe they now want £20.50 for a box of common goblins. And also raised black orcs to the piss-taking greatsword price.

And £25 for the orc army book! It's been out for three months, and suddenly it's worth an extra £2.50? Is the ink made of petrol?

And another good one for some perspective:
Apparently Mantic are using 'plastic resin' too...

Quote from: Mantic
We’re proud to introduce our new Plastic Resin Undead Wraiths. Plastic Resin is a superior material to metal in that it holds detail like Resin, but with all the benefits of plastic. That’s not the best bit however, oh no. We’ve managed to double the number of figures into the box at the same price as the previous metal set. As we all know, the price of metal is getting expensive and so by switching the popular Wraiths to this more affordable material, we’ve passed on the cost savings to you guys. How’s that for value for money?

Contrast and compare.

/whine

Last night, I dreamed patsy had the molds for the metal models and then we all danced (really).

"Part of it.  But why would you want to own the site?  It's endless gay jokes and more bills."
- Goon
Snook
Captain

Warhammer Roleplay

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:23:20 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzTxXpgCjFk

"I want to take naps, but I'm too much of a tough guy for it." - HGT
patsy02
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:30:51 AM »

I lol'd

Last night, I dreamed patsy had the molds for the metal models and then we all danced (really).

"Part of it.  But why would you want to own the site?  It's endless gay jokes and more bills."
- Goon
oglethorp

official DT kicker of ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:31:11 AM »

when did they start rolling out the finecast?

Vegetarians should eat bacon though. Not because I'm trying to force them to give up their pointless struggle against the true omnivorous way, but because bacon is made of win and awesome. -TOF-
patsy02
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »

A few days ago.

- Goon
beardy-baldy

Wannabe god, being crumbled under his own power.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »

When this company is an inch from death, I'm catching a plane to Birmingham and camping out just so I can be the first to piss on its grave.

Get your groove on, Soldier!

"You'd probably remember ETK for her fiery red hair, her love of water Pokemon and being daring enough to wear red suspenders over a yellow shirt. That shit just WORKED."

-Apothecary Mokkai
SkavenNecron

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:01:32 PM »

Don't forget all the miscasts! Someone reviewed a Dark Elf Repeater Bolt Thrower, and the crewman had a deformed foot.

Someone got a Terminator Librarian, and half of his Storm Bolter was missing.

Tons of air bubbles on Lelith Hesperax, making her spikes look like buttons.

Yeah, mistakes will happen, but when you're charging 3 times as much as your competitors for similar models, and you're boasting about how these models are "the finest in the world", you'd best have some damn good QA.

The guy on dakkadakka who is reviewing the Termy Libby has it half assembled and painted. I can't tell the difference between it and the metal one.

"Be the broken or the breaker/Be the giver or the undertaker/Unlock and open the doors/Be the healer or the faker/The keys are in your hands/Realize you are your own sole creator/Of your own master plan"
HiredgoonThug
Greenskin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 10:09:40 PM »

I wanted to pick up Azhag but now I'll troll ebay for a metal one.

WAAAGH!
DrunkenViking

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 12:27:39 AM »

They released them out here today.  The staff at GW are raving about them, claiming them to be some kind of wonder material.  They claim you can have a fully assembled Azhag, drop it from 3 feet up, and it won't break at all(of course they didn't have the model to prove it).  They also claim that Bloodtakers sword can bend quite a bit without breaking.  Have yet to see any proof of these claims.

I also love how they call it the new range.  Besides the material, it's all the old models, so it's basically false advertising, which last I checked was illegal in this country.  I asked if I could buy the old metal models from the web store, and they said that anything that has been replaced, is now only available as finecast(I guess they melt the old models down and sell the giant mass of pewter to someone.

I miss the good old days, back before GW turned into a money-making monster.  Or at least that's how it seemed when I started playing.

"Psst, Dan, are you talking about the Drunken Viking or Inu. Francly I find them both somewhat annoying..." -Warboss Barkot

weeeeee!!!!!
an eye...i love my testicles way too much...
lighter or a match? if you were to set a loved one on fire... -Madame_Bovary
patsy02
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 12:39:17 PM »

When I started they seemed fair and professional.

Now they're like a slimy used car salesman who turns back all his odometers.

- Goon
HiredgoonThug
Greenskin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »

I haven't seen any first hand, but I will check a few out and see.  I still need a couple 40k metal models, so I might get some resin ones.

WAAAGH!
DrunkenViking

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »

They also claim this resin won't cause cancer, unlike the forgeworld resin.

"Psst, Dan, are you talking about the Drunken Viking or Inu. Francly I find them both somewhat annoying..." -Warboss Barkot

weeeeee!!!!!
an eye...i love my testicles way too much...
lighter or a match? if you were to set a loved one on fire... -Madame_Bovary
oglethorp

official DT kicker of ass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 11:48:17 PM »

"our resin is now cancer free!"

Vegetarians should eat bacon though. Not because I'm trying to force them to give up their pointless struggle against the true omnivorous way, but because bacon is made of win and awesome. -TOF-
beardy-baldy

Wannabe god, being crumbled under his own power.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »

Get your groove on, Soldier!

"You'd probably remember ETK for her fiery red hair, her love of water Pokemon and being daring enough to wear red suspenders over a yellow shirt. That shit just WORKED."

-Apothecary Mokkai
patsy02
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 05:32:20 AM »

Holy shit. Did we dance because we had them and not GW, or was it just the usual frolicking?

- Goon
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: